The Cape Town Metropolitan Police Department
The Cape Town Metropolitan Police Department’s functions include three statutory
The three statutory functions of metro police services are:
• Traffic policing;
• Crime prevention; and
• Municipal by-law enforcement.
Metro police members have legal powers of arrest and search and seizure within their area of jurisdiction (Metropolitan Borders). They do not have powers to investigate crime and have to hand over criminal suspects to the South Africa Police Service for investigation and prosecution.
Another responsibility of the Cape Town Metro Police is traffic policing.
All uniformed officers are empowered to issue traffic fines and they undergo extra training in criminal law, community policing and police ethics.
• Do general traffic enforcement;
• Attending accident scenes, record details and secure accident scenes;
• Conduct Roadblocks; and
• Point duty and manning scholar patrol points.
• Do the execution of search warrants;
• Do routine vehicle and foot patrols;
• Arrange safety campaigns;
• Awareness support for members of the Public as per Road Traffic Act & Road Safety;
• Implement awareness campaigns around crime and grime in our communities;
• Implement social crime prevention initiatives for our local communities;
• Attending to the public’s complaints
By law Enforcement
• General Law Enforcement;
• Issue fines for all the By- laws
• Attend to by law complaints
Chief of Metropolitan Police
Chief Wayne le Roux
Metro Police Department
101 Hertzog Boulevard
Our members are deployed in four operational areas which are Managed by Area Directors. The following Director are managing area Brackenfell:
Area North: Director James Kitching
(021) 695 3061
Area North will cover the following areas of concern:
• Kraaifontein; Brackenfell; Durbanville; Atlantis; Melkbos Strand; Tableview; Milnerton; Bothasig and Edgemead.
The department believes that visible policing is an important crime prevention strategy.
CTMPD officers are easy to spot in their uniforms:
Blue shirt, brown trousers, brown leather boots and baseball caps sporting a CTMPD badge OR
Cream colour shirt, brown trousers, brown shoes and Felt Hat with CTMPD badge.
Department and Units
The department has a number of divisions. To name a few:
• Civilian and Internal Affairs;
• Information management;
• Media and Communications;
• Training Academy; and
• Specialised Services which includes the Tactical Response unit, Camera Response Unit, Dog and Equestrian Units, Drug Busters and the High Way Unit.
Drug busters: 021 370 2200
Liquor Control Unit: 021 900 1773 cell: 073 709 3963
Vice Squad: 080 022 5669
Copperheads (Cable theft Unit): 0800 222 771
For complaints and enquiries call the METRO POLICE CONTROL ROOM at 021 596 1999 or 021 - 5961400